Monday, February 7, 2011

I Bet You Think I'm NUTS!

This post is about a creation that just about came to life. Please, I beg you not to lose interest when you read the ingredients, they may be uncanny but they somehow united just perfectly.

-2 thick cut pork chops
-1 Avocado
-Mushrooms
-Crumbled blue chees
-Cracked chipotle pepper
-Onion powder
-Chili powder
-Garlic powder
-Salt
-Pepper
-Orange juice

So to get the ball rolling I threw together a quick rub with the chipotle, onion powder, chili, garlic, salt and pepper. It was nothing special but definitely had more chipotle, maybe even twice as much. I gave the chops a good rub down and then tossed them in a warm cast iron skillet with just enough olive oil in it to coat the bottom. I seared the chops on each side just long enough to give them some color and then pulled them from the heat, dropping them down into the oven at 350ish for about 10-15 min or an internal temp of about 145.

Prior to starting I had taken my avocado apart and slice my mushrooms, now however I took them and began to cook them down in a pan of their own. Once the mushrooms looked like most of the water had cooked off of them I added just enough orange juice to just cover the bottom of the pan and then cooked that until it is what I am only able to describe as gooey.

At this point, the chops should be about done so snag them from the oven and let them sit for a few minutes to rest. I served them on a couple of pieces of bread and the avocado mushrooms piled on top.

The flavor in one of these guys is intense. Heat from the chipotle cooled ever so slightly by the avocado and then tanged up by the OJ with the texture playing tricks on your senses by contrasting the seared skin of the chops, the slime of the mushrooms, the creaminess of the avocado, and the sponginess of the bread is amazing. Probably not for everyone, but intensely amazing

Sorry there there's no pic.

No comments:

Post a Comment