Thursday, July 21, 2011

Samoa Steak Tacos

This is a fantastic combo of terrific tropical flavors and red meat. I am not kidding you when I say nothing so strangely delicious and perplexing has ever been put in my mouth before making it. I leaked some pictures and have high demand for precise deets so I tried to be as accurate as possible. That being said kick back, relax, and enjoy.

Chipotle Mango Salsa

-1 good sized mango

-1/4 orange bell pepper

-1/4 green bell pepper

-1/3 red onion

-Fresh cilantro to taste (I love the stuff so I think I used 12 cups. Just kidding… but seriously)

-2 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo sauce (CAUTION THIS SHIT IS HOT!)

-1 cup pineapple chucks

-Lemon juice

-Salt

Samoa Marinated Steak

-Steak (use what you want from T-bone to flank steak, I don’t give a crap)

-1 small can pineapple junks juice and all

-1/4-1/2 cup blood orange EVOO (this is specialty oil I got as a gift. I am sure using a fresh blood orange and regular olive oil would make a dandy sub if not make the whole thing better)

-1/8 of a cup soy sauce

-Couple of crushed garlic cloves

-Fist full of roughed up cilantro

-Salt

-2-3 tbs lemon juice

-1-2 tbs vanilla

Alright the first thing you have to do to get a rockin and a rollin on this recipe is chop up your mangos. I took mine down fairly small about the size of … say a Lego. Once cut up throw that in a big ol’ mixing bowl. Continue in this fashion with the peppers and onion.

Now, take your chipotle peppers in adobo, and be careful because I am not joking when I say these are hot and the oils from them DO NOT leave your fingertips right away (THIS MEANS DO NOT TOUCH YOUR EYES BECAUSE IT HURTS REALY REEEAAALY BAD). Once you have them, cut them open and remove the innards and discard them, unless you want to use them… which may be suicidal but have at it, dice up your peppers into tiny pieces (this will allow them to disperse throughout the salsa and give you a more even heat).

Lastly, give a rough chop to your cilantro and pineapple and toss them and the rest of your ingredients into your mixing bowl and stir it up really good. At this point I recommend a taste test just to make sure the salsa meets your standards, if it does, toss it in your fridge to settle down and blend together for a bit.

To get started on the marinade, you will want to take all of the ingredients listed above minus the steak and mix them together thoroughly in a bowl. After mixing the ingredients to create your marinade, slice your steak against the grain. Then put your steak in a marinating tray or plastic bag, I prefer the bag because I think it gives better coverage to the meat but who really knows. Finally pour the marinade from the bowl you mixed them in into the bag/tray with your meat. Let that sit for a few hours to get nice and tasty.

Once you have wasted a few hours of your life waiting on meat to marinade and salsa flavors to blend, it is finally time! Remove the steak from the before mentioned container and sizzle it up in a pan or flat top grill (you can remove the cilantro and pineapple from your steak, but I left them to cook with the steak). I kept it on the heat until the sugar from marinade started to caramelize and turn a beautiful brown and the smell of fruity vanilla filled the kitchen.

While waiting for the meat to reach that perfect place between raw and burnt, I whipped up a little lemon lime chipotle mayo to top off everything. This was simply just a spoon full of mayo, a tbs or two of lemon/lime juice, and enough chipotle powder to give it a pinkish hue.

Once your steak is cooked take a few tortillas and warm them on the grill and BAM you are ready to plate. Toss a hearty amount of your Samoa steak on the shell, pile on some of the chipotle mango salsa, and add a dab of the lemon lime chipotle mayo and get ready for your mouth to be taken to paradise.

If you try this Please, please, PLEASE leave a comment telling me what you think. I really liked it and want to know if my tastes are just messed up or if it was truly delish. Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. I would never have thought to use vanilla or soy sauce. Cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete