Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Pig Wrapped Pork with a Side of Zs and Toms



Pork Chops
Bacon (2 slices per chop)
Zucchini
Tomato
BBQ sauce
Olive Oil
Toothpicks

This is a pretty easy meal that just about any half lit dude could pull off. I like to start with my zucchini so that I can get them going on the grill. Take a knife and whack it up into about ½ inch pieces… or at least that’s the size I like, you can go a little bigger or smaller if you would like. Once you have your slices in front of you drizzle them with the olive oil ( I like to salt and pepper mine during this stage but it is not a necessity. Now just let those sit for a sec.

Now, grab a chop and wrap the bacon around it meeting both ends and then push the toothpick through the touching ends to secure the bacon around the chop. Repeat this process with the other strip of bacon so that you have two bacon stripes (yes I mean stripes) going across your pork chop.

I would now recommend lighting your grill so that it has a few minutes to get hot. Next grab your tomato and slice it in half adding whatever seasonings you feel (I like it plain). It is at this point you must do something very crucial. Walk to your fridge and pull out an icy cold beer (my current beer of choice is Miller High Life because for every top you turn in they donate money to the troops, but you can choose whatever beer you like.)

With beer in hand it is time to start grilling. I like to start my zucchini a little before my chops because i prefer them to be a little charred and if they are thick cut it may take time for them to cook all the way through. So toss them on for about 3 minutes before your chops.

When you are ready to grill your chops CHECK THE TIME, if you are a true dude fooder you will be doing this by time and touch so you don’t have to hack apart your meat to see if it is cooked through. My chops were pretty small, less than an inch thick and I went about 4-5 minutes a side and they were just about perfect, but you can’t totally rely on time. You have to be able to gauge the meat by how it feels to the touch. Cooked meat is substantially firmer than raw meat and this skill may take time to develop but is the only sure fire way to know when your meat is good to eat.

Be sure to slap that tomato on the grill when you are putting your chops on.

Once you have got your food flipped once and about where you would like it to be apply a layer of BBQ sauce (it doesn’t have to be fancy, I just used original Masterpiece). Then let it sit for a minute, roll over your meat and do it again.

Now you should be ready to pull everything off at once if you timed this right, so just grab a platter and fork and dig in.

1 comment: