Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Kinda Kickin Chicken and Squash




Chicken Breast
Acorn Squash (winter acorns)
Celery Salt
Red Pepper Powder
Black Pepper
Garlic Powder
Cayenne Pepper
Olive Oil

The prep work on this is pretty easy. First I cut the squash in half right down what I would call one of the vertical lines. Then, I coated the squash with olive oil. Then I sprinkled the celery salt, red pepper powder, black pepper, and garlic powder on in about even amounts. As for the chicken I coated it with the garlic powder and then some of the cayenne. This blend of salty, pepper, garlicy was my attempt at creating a Cajun heat and it worked relatively well providing a flavory kick without lighting a fire.

Next, I preheated my grill and put the acorn squash on face down. The squash will take ten to fifteen min longer than the chicken depending on size so I waited about 10 before putting my chicken on. Once my chicken was on I waited about 10 minutes and flipped everything on the grill over. This meant the squash was on there about 20 min before it was flipped and the chicken about 10 min. I let it all go for about 10 minutes and then pulled everything off.

So all in all I cooked the squash for about 30 min (20 face down and 10 face up) and the chicken about 20, flipping it halfway through.

In preparation for eat, I grabbed some BBQ because I thought the amount of garlic powder I put on the chicken would have dried it out, but never ended up using it. Everything was grade A and now acorn squash on the grill seasoned this way could be this Dude’s favorite food.

No comments:

Post a Comment